Candidates for admission to Sainik School should conform to the following medical standards:
(a) Distant Vision Better eye .. V-6/6 Worse eye .. V-6/9
(b) Near Vision N-5 Each eye Correctable to 6/6
(c) Colour Vision CPI (MLT)
- Candidates who do not possess the minimum colour perception standard CP-3 (Defective safe) defined below be declared unfit:
CP-3 (Defective safe): Candidates should be able to recognize white signal, green colour correctly as shown by Martin’s lantern at a distance of 15 meters or read the requisite plates or Ishiara Book / Tokyo Medical College Book.
- Fundus and Media to be healthy and within normal limits.
- No undue degenerative signs of vitreous or chorioretina to be present suggesting progressive myoretina.
- Must possess good binocular vision (fusion faculty and full field of vision in both eyes).
- There should be no organic disease likely to cause exacerbations or deterioration.
- Colour vision: Safe or defective safe.
- It should be ensured that sufficient number and sound teeth are present for efficient mastication.
(a) A candidate must have a minimum of 14 dental points to be acceptable. In order to assess the dental condition of an individual, points are allotted as under:
(i) Central incisor, lateral incisor, 1st and 2nd premolar and underdeveloped 3rd molar-one one point each.
(ii) 1st and 2nd molar and fully developed third molar- 2 points each. When all 32 teeth are present, there will be a total count of 22 points.
(b) The following teeth in good functional apposition must be present in jaw:
(i) Any four of the six anterior.
(ii) Any six of the ten posteriors.
(c) Candidates suffering from sever pyorrhoea will be rejected. If the state of pyorrhoea in the opinion of the Dental Officer can be cured without extraction of teeth, the candidate may be accepted.
- Hearing will be tested by speech test. Wherever required audiometric records will also be taken.
(a) Speech Test. The candidate should be able to hear a forced whisper with each ear separately at a distance of 610 cms.
(b) Audiometric Record. The candidate should have no loss of hearing in either ear at frequencies 128 to 4.095 cycles per second: Audiometric reading between (-) 10 and (+) 10.
- Method of examination.
(a) The candidate will be examined standing erect.
(b) The knee joints will be kept fully extended with the feet parallel and the patellae facing directly forwards.
(c) The distance between medical melleoli will be measured with the medial condyles touching each other.
(d) Any associated deformity of the feet or hip or genu recurvatum will be looked for the same time.
- Acceptable for admission.
(a) Milder degree of knock knee when the distance between melleoli is not more than two inches will not be a bar to acceptance, provided there is no other associated disability. This will be considered as a minor disability and recorded as such. The candidate should be able to stand to attention with shoes or boots without flexing or overlapping of either knees.
(b) Marked degree of knock knee with the distance between the malleoli MORE THAN TWO INCHES WILL BE UNFIT FOR ACCEPTANCE.
(c) If the candidate is able to stand to attention without flexion of knee irrespective of any intermalleolar measurements, such candidates can safely be declared as fit.